Best GPS for Hunting
Here at Hunter Fields we’ve been spending a large amount of time this summer hiking and scouting for the upcoming deer bow hunting season and while doing so have been able to check out quite a few handheld GPS units. So what is the best GPS for hunting needs? Well, while there wasn’t a clear run away winner this year we do have our favorites. While a couple of the guys really leaned towards the
Bushnell Back Track the overall consensus winner was the
Garmin GPSMAP 64st. Read on for our full review and we’re sure you’ll agree that Garmin is still the way to go.
Preloaded with TOPO U.S. 100K mapping, the Garmin 64st boasts wireless connectivity and a high-sensitivity receiver that works with Russian GLONASS and U.S. GPS for superior reception and navigation. Even under a heavy canopy or extreme cloud cover the reception was always great. We normally acquired a satellite fix in 15-30 seconds. The unit also comes preloaded with 1:100K Topographic maps for the entire United States and Puerto Rico. One of the biggest selling points (at least for my wife) was the LiveTrack function which allows friends and family to view your activities in real time on the Garmin Connect website. The Garmin 64st allows storage of up to 5,000 waypoints and up to 200 routes meaning your favorite trips old and new can be stored on your GPSMAP 64 st. Recall them at a later date to share with other people on your home PC with the Garmin Connect online community to see where you’re adventures have taken you, and you can also view other people’s travels. Use of the unit-to-unit transfer will allow you to share your routes or waypoints wirelessly with similar units like your 64st. As my partner Steve stated –
After all of these years, nobody has been able to make a better handheld GPS unit that his one from Garmin. This is the latest update in the 60 series of the Garmin GPS units. I’ve tried the Colorado and the Montana and this one still works the best and is the easiest to use with the best screen for daytime as well as nighttime.
- Sunlight-Readable 2.6″ color display
- Expanded Internal Memory 8GB
- DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM Use with 2 traditional AA batteries, or the optional rechargeable NiMH battery pack that can be charged while inside the device
- Receive Smart Notifications* and pair with optional ANT+ sensors, such as heart rate monitor, Tempe temperature sensor, speed/cadence, or use to control your VIRB action camera (64s/64st only)
- Wirelessly upload data to Garmin Connect and view on smartphone, plus share activities as they happen with Live Track (64s/64st only)