Which pocket knife should you carry? The best pocket knife for you is somewhat a personal decision. Some individuals prefer a multi-tool while others only need or want a single blade. We’ve covered the best pocket knives on the market for all types of users below. Take a look and we’re sure you will find a knife that fits your needs.
Kershaw 1660ST Ken Onion Leek Serrated Folding Knife with SpeedSafe
This one is awesome in every way. It has the speed assist which is a great option but in addition to the traditional thumb stud it has a spot on the back of the blade which allows you to use your index finger to deploy the blade. The steel keeps an edge very well but is not impossible to sharpen. The size of the knife is also perfect for pocket use. Overall, this is truly a great knife. Don’t hesitate on this one. One last thought. It is also made in the USA which means quality.
Benchmade 585 Mini Barrage
If you’re looking for a GREAT knife that is easy to carry, clips into your pocket, 2 1/4 inch blade that is VERY sharp right out of the box and holds a great edge under heavy use this is the one. This is my second – lost the first in the woods – and I will keep buying this knife for as long as they make it. Love everything about it!
Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD Pocket Knife
For versatility and simplicity it’s hard to beat this item. Sure there are SAKs with more blades and tools, but the simple knife/screwdriver/scissors combination is going to meet the vast majority of your needs (ok, it doesn’t have a bottle opener: use a door strike plate, MacGyver). The toothpick is so-so, but I can’t count the number of times I’ve needed to tweeze something and used the SAK tweezers when I couldn’t find the bathroom set. The key fob, while not the most exciting of features, does provide a convenient way to carry the SAK around with you. This item is sure to please. I love mine. You’ll love yours. Buy one for someone else – they’ll love theirs.
Benchmade Knife 551 Griptilian Pardue Plain Edge Satin Blade Black Handle Folding Knife
This is a perfect example of a perfectly balanced knife. I own a lot of benchmade knives and this one is the best for your buck. 154cm steel allows you to give this knife a hard beating between sharpening, I actually have not had to sharpen mine and i have owned it for a little more than a year with regular use. Personally, I wish that this knife had a rubber grip on the sides of some sort, because it is not as grippy as I would like, but its good enough. Incredibly sharp, opening and closing this knife can be done with the greatest of ease using one hand with practice.
Columbia River Knife And Tool’s Mt. Shasta 6611N Serrated Edge Knife
CRKT has achieved perfection in this knife design. If feels really good in your hand, run over it with a truck, skin a bear, and it still works like new. One of the nice things about this design is that you can get it in two sizes and two blade types. You can decide which fits your needs the best. Also, I have an older one that I have been carrying for ten years. They have not changed much in that time. It is my favorite knife and I imagine it will continue to be the best knife that I own.
Best GPS for Hunting
Here at Hunter Fields we’ve been spending a large amount of time this summer hiking and scouting for the upcoming deer bow hunting season and while doing so have been able to check out quite a few handheld GPS units. So what is the best GPS for hunting needs? Well, while there wasn’t a clear run away winner this year we do have our favorites. While a couple of the guys really leaned towards the
Bushnell Back Track the overall consensus winner was the
Garmin GPSMAP 64st. Read on for our full review and we’re sure you’ll agree that Garmin is still the way to go.
Preloaded with TOPO U.S. 100K mapping, the Garmin 64st boasts wireless connectivity and a high-sensitivity receiver that works with Russian GLONASS and U.S. GPS for superior reception and navigation. Even under a heavy canopy or extreme cloud cover the reception was always great. We normally acquired a satellite fix in 15-30 seconds. The unit also comes preloaded with 1:100K Topographic maps for the entire United States and Puerto Rico. One of the biggest selling points (at least for my wife) was the LiveTrack function which allows friends and family to view your activities in real time on the Garmin Connect website. The Garmin 64st allows storage of up to 5,000 waypoints and up to 200 routes meaning your favorite trips old and new can be stored on your GPSMAP 64 st. Recall them at a later date to share with other people on your home PC with the Garmin Connect online community to see where you’re adventures have taken you, and you can also view other people’s travels. Use of the unit-to-unit transfer will allow you to share your routes or waypoints wirelessly with similar units like your 64st. As my partner Steve stated –
After all of these years, nobody has been able to make a better handheld GPS unit that his one from Garmin. This is the latest update in the 60 series of the Garmin GPS units. I’ve tried the Colorado and the Montana and this one still works the best and is the easiest to use with the best screen for daytime as well as nighttime.
- Sunlight-Readable 2.6″ color display
- Expanded Internal Memory 8GB
- DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM Use with 2 traditional AA batteries, or the optional rechargeable NiMH battery pack that can be charged while inside the device
- Receive Smart Notifications* and pair with optional ANT+ sensors, such as heart rate monitor, Tempe temperature sensor, speed/cadence, or use to control your VIRB action camera (64s/64st only)
- Wirelessly upload data to Garmin Connect and view on smartphone, plus share activities as they happen with Live Track (64s/64st only)
Thanks for checking out our Best Rifle Scopes of 2015 rundown. Whether you are a hunter or a sport shooter, you know that your choice of a scope is one of the top factors in determining how accurately you’ll be able to shoot. A scope allows you to zoom in on your target and be able to lock in exactly where you want your shot to land.
All the top manufacturers have many good scopes on the market so the process of choosing the best is a difficult proposition. Ultimately it comes down to your budget and personal preference. Our guide should help you in determining what the best scope is to suit your (and your rifle’s) needs.
Types of Rifle Scopes
There are many different types of scopes, but they can for all piratical purposes be placed into three categories. It is important to understand the different types of scopes and the pros and cons to each one before purchasing one. Listed below are the three general categories of scopes on the market today.
1. Variable Scopes – By far the most common, variable scopes are useful if magnification of the target is needed for a clean shot. With these types of scopes, the shooter can adjust the magnification of the target that they are looking at. These types of scopes come in a variety of magnification variables, and depending on what you are hunting, this could be extremely important. Sniper rifles often use variable scopes, because sniper rifles are used at a much farther distance than a normal hunting rifle.
2. Fixed Scopes – These scopes can be a little less complicated than variable scopes, but they are also only better if people know exactly the specs they need when shooting their gun. You cannot adjust the magnification on fixed scopes like you can on variables. Therefore, these scopes are only recommended in certain occasions and for certain types of firearms.
3. Night Vision Scopes – These are specialty scopes. They can be combined as a variable scope or a fixed scope. What makes these scopes different is the fact that they are used for hunting at night or at times of day when there is a small amount of light to naturally see the target. Before choosing a night vision scope, you should make sure that it is worth it, because they will not be viable if you plan on hunting or shooting in the dark.
Best Rifle Scope Under $100
There are a lot of different rifle scopes that you can get for under $100. Just like any optical device, at this price point there is a mix of quality and less than optimal products. One product stands out. Our pick for the under $100 price point is the Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn Multi-X Reticle Riflescope, 4-12×40. It has a large list quality features, and it is made by Bushnell, one of the best rifle scope brands on the market.
- Low-light riflescope with 4-12x magnification and 40mm objective lens
- Dusk & Dawn Brightness (DDB) multicoated lenses for clarity and brightness
- Multi-X reticle; 1/4 MOA fingertip windage and elevation adjustments
- 100-percent waterproof/fogproof construction; 3.3 inches of eye relief
- Fast-focus eyepiece; measures 12 inches long
Best Rifle Scope Under $300
The Leupold 110798 VX-2 Riflescope, Wide Duplex Reticle, 8.80X Magnification, 3-9×40-Millimeter, Matte Black Finish delivers the performance and features that serious hunters demand. It has tactical power indicators, finger-adjustable click windage and elevation dials, and its brightness, clarity and contrast are good for low-light conditions.
- Tactile power indicator allows you to determine scope’s magnification without removing your eye from the eyepiece
- Upgraded Multicoat 4 lens system for excellent 94% light transmission in all light conditions
- Reticle has a larger center gate for lightening-fast target acquisition, even on a moving target
- 2nd Generation Argon/Krypton Waterproofing
- Index Matched Lens System eliminates reflections and maximizes light transmission
Best Rifle Scope Under $500
Nikon makes our list in the under $500 category – the Nikon MONARCH 3 BDC Riflescope, Black, 4-16×50. This variable scope is by far one of the top rifle scopes on the marketplace today price ranged under $500. Nikon does not disappoint with this scope as it has many of the features that Nikon is known for using on their high end scopes.
- Featuring MONARCH 3 Eye Box Technology with 4-time zoom range and up to four Inch of eye relief
- Adjustments are made easy with Spring-Loaded Instant Zero-Reset Turrets
- A quick focus eyepiece allows the shooter to instantly bring the reticle into focus
- Ultra ClearCoat Optical System for up to 95% light transmission
- Optimized for use with Nikon’s Spot On Ballistic Match Technology
Best Rifle Scope $500 and above
Zeiss Optics are always at the top of the list when money is no object. The Carl Zeiss Optical Conquest HD5 5-25×50 Rapid-Z 1000 Ballistic Reticle Rifle Scope with Lockable Target Turret does not disappoint. It is the ideal scope for long range shooting, offering precision aiming with accurate holdover and wind-corrected information.
- German made
- HD lens system and T coatings for enhanced image quality
- Rapid-Z 1000 ballistic reticle provides numbered holdover lines for long-range shooting out to 1000 yards
- Sleek, compact tube design compared to other 25x scopes
- New 5-Year No Fault Policy + Limited Lifetime Warranty
Here is our list of Best Tents 2015. Whether you are camping out with family on the beach or roughing it for a week in the mountains we’re confident that these tents will satisfy all your needs. But unfortunately we can’t cover and review every tent on the market. There are quite a few niche tent needs – portable for backpacking, extreme cold weather and bug-proof are just a few. If you need a tent recommendation for a special need please let us know. We’d love to try out a few and let you know our thoughts. Not to mention it would be the perfect excuse for a weekend getaway.
Coleman Sundome Tent
Tent is really well made for the price, everything went together well. The ventilation is great with the upper walls screened. Even with the rain cover on you still get great ventilation through large screened openings on the front and back walls of tent. Without the rain guard installed, the upper walls of this tent are screened so you can see the sky and stars.
Wenzel Pine Ridge 5 Person Tent
Easy to assemble. We’ve only used it a handful of times, but it has been a great, simple tent. Slightly heavy for backpacking (I would get something smaller and more light-weight), but it has suited our camping needs.
Wenzel Evergreen 10×9- Six-Person Dome Tent
This tent is well made. Has great zippers. Goes up easily. It’s very high, at six foot there is a square 3 feet of space you can stand in without the ceiling touching your head, but it catches the wind, so it starts to strain in 30mph winds.
Mountain Trails Grand Pass Tent – 10 Person
Spacious enough to sleep up to seven people comfortably, the Mountain Trails Grand Pass family dome tent is a great choice for large families and groups. The tent is also a breeze to set up and to keep you cool on warm evenings, the tent offers large mesh roof vents and windows for ample cross-ventilation. You can even divide the Grand Pass into two rooms to enjoy added privacy.
Browning Camping Big Horn Family/Hunting Tent
Wonderful tent! We used this tent during the tail end of a tropical storm, and we camped at one of the windiest spots on the lake. This tent did amazing!
CORE 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent – 14′ x 9′
I took my family of 6 camping this past weekend. We got hit with heavy rain and wind one night. Could have been worse if this tent had not held up so well. Everything stayed dry and together. Great tent.
Mountainsmith Genesee 4 Person 3 Season Tent
For your family’s first camping outing or for your yearly trip to the monster musical festival, the three-season, four-person Mountainsmith Genesee 4 Tent provides much-needed shelter for you and your sleepy companions. Its rain-shedding fly and fully seam-taped bathtub floor help keep your group dry during summer storms, and with two doors and vestibules, there’s plenty of space to store muddy shoes and packs.
Wolfman Family Camping Tent w/ Living Room
This quality tent is good for camping, backyard play or BBQ tent activities. Durable quality is guaranteed by WOLFMAN.
If you need equal parts economy, endurance and 10x optical power, consider the Olympus 118760 Trooper 10×50 DPS R. This standard Porro Prism binocular brings sports enthusiasts to their game with easily focused, wide-angle views that are great for tracking – and keeping up with – fast moving subjects, and provide UV ray protection so you never have to worry about the sun. And maybe best of all, these binoculars spare the bank account besides.
With great optics as well as the wide angle view, the Trooper 10×50 DPS R is the perfect binocular to have during outdoor activities such as hiking, bird-watching, or sporting events.
Wide Angle Viewing
Great for viewing fast moving objects
UV Ray Protection
Protects your eyes from those damaging rays
Anti-reflective Lens Coating
Improves image brightness and clarity
Features and Benefits
- Wide-angle field of view for fast moving subjects
- Anti-reflective lens coating for better image brightness, contrast and quality
- Large center focus knob for fast, easy focusing
- Built-in dioptric correction adjusts to individual eyesight
- UV Protection for worry-free viewing
- New rugged, high-quality finish with sure-grip rubber coating
Visit DeerHuntingGuide.net for a Guide to Choosing the Best Hunting Binoculars.
Celestron’s new Nature DX Series is the perfect companion for the outdoors lover. These affordable yet feature-packed binoculars are designed specifically for beginning to intermediate users. With the Nature DX series, you’ll get the important features you’re looking for, like fully multi-coated optics and BaK-4 prisms, while staying within your budget.
You can feel confident taking Nature DX binoculars on any of your outdoor adventures. Even the full size models in the series are extremely portable and lightweight. Nature DX can withstand harsh weather; its fully waterproof housing is purged of air and filled with dry nitrogen gas.
- BaK-4 Prisms w/ Phase Coating: Increases contrast and resolution for sharper more detailed images.
- Fully Multi-Coated Optics: Allows maximum light transmission through the optical path for brighter images.
- 6.5′ Close Focus: Detailed, up close observation of subjects in close proximity. Ideal for watching birds, insects, plants, etc.
- Compact and Lightweight
- Twist-up Eyecups
These are one of our favorite pairs of binoculars that are available at a very reasonable price.